What can an MP do?

Members of Parliament are elected to the House of Commons to represent the interests and concerns of all the people who live in their constituency, whether they voted for them at the General Election or not. They are only able to deal with issues raised by people who live in their constituency. To check if you are one of John's constituents, please enter your postcode on the Parliament website .

There is no job description for an MP and each MP has to work out the best way to pursue the role for themselves. The main task is to consider and propose new laws as well as raise issues relating to the constituency or constituents. This is not always easy as contentious and divisive issues are often debated. It is always important to listen to different views and to weigh up arguments. In the end every MP has to make a judgement on what they say and how they vote on particular issues. 

For the most part an MPs time is divided between working in Parliament or representing parliament elsewhere and working in their constituency.

When Parliament is sitting MPs are expected to be in Westminster from Monday to Thursday and so time in the constituency is limited. Outside of sitting weeks there is more time for constituency meetings and visits. A key constituency time for John is the September recess which is the only recess that does not coincide with school holidays and so John is able to meet with many more people at this time. 

During the course of a week in Westminster there are many competing demands on an MP's time. Time is divided between scrutinising legislation, attending debates, ministerial question sessions, committees, briefings and other meetings, and also responding to correspondence. These competing demands mean that it is not always possible to attend a particular debate or drop-in session that a constituent may ask John to attend, although he does try to fit in as much as he can each week.

John can raise questions relating to Parliament and the work of Government departments such as the NHS, HM Revenue and Customs, and the Department of Work and Pensions. John does not have any jurisdiction over local Council decisions however he can write to the couoncil on your behalf to ask them to look into a problem or to reconsider an issue. In the first instance though, constituents should contact their local council or councillor directly. For details of the local councils and other local organisations please see the useful contacts tab under the Constituency tab on this website. 

If you want to find out more, and see if your issue is something I can help with, please click on the  attached document published by Parliament. 



Attachment Size
You and Your MP 300.51 KB