I have just returned from a week at the Council of Europe where I represent the UK on the Parliamentary Assembly. This body becomes more important after Brexit as it is the main body for UK parliamentarians to engage with parliamentarians from 46 other European countries. There were a number of themes during the week. Principally, these were the reform of the legal and judicial systems in a number of East European countries; challenges to the credentials of the Russian delegation; smuggling of migrants especially children.
- Elected Treasurer of the European Conservatives Group
- Appointed Rapporteur on Turkey for the Monitoring Committee
- Elected senior Vice-Chairman Social Affairs Committee
Questions to Presidents and Foreign Secretary
- Foreign Secretary of Georgia – refugee children and their integration into societies to which they go;
- President of Georgia – relationship with Iran;
- President of Moldova – reform of legal and judicial system.
- Democratic institutions in Poland
- Freedom of religion in the workplace
- Political prisoners in Azerbaijan
- Organ transplant tourism
- Media Freedom
- Challenge to credentials of Russian delegation